Sunday, February 27, 2011

Good News

Kort had his 2nd check up by Dr. Devall today & it was good news!
She sees a huge improvement in his hips from the last time. Also when she extended his hips today he didn't yelp ! We are to continue on with our exercises to strengthen his core muscles & just keep doing what I've been doing. He needed some minor adjustments in his spine. Last time his spine & pelvis were so tight, this time he was much improved with no tightness :)
I have not decided if I will go back to agility with Kort. This morning I attended a lecture given by Dr Devall on injuries in performance dogs...unless you are prepared to treat your dog like an athlete, then you are just asking for trouble. By this I mean conditioning the whole dog, his core, his muscles etc. Cross training, endurance training as well....warm ups, cool downs, all very important...this stuff I already knew, but I did not know the extent of stress on the dogs body if the are not conditioned properly or if they just don't have the proper structure to begin with. I have some thinking to do now :)
I also ended up bringing Tate for an appt. He first saw Dr Devall about 4 yrs ago when she was practicing in Edmonton, then I travelled to Calgary to see her, & the last time we saw her was about 2 yrs ago when she was here for our regional agility trails. I noticed that one of Tate's hips was higher then the other again, his whole pelvis needed to be adjusted, plus some areas in his neck...he always has the same thing...more exercises with Tater too :)
All in all it was a very good day & I am very happy with the news.

6 comments:

Dianne SS said...

Whoo Hoo!! Your blog is back!!!!! Glad to hear that Kort is much improved!! Soemthing to think about, regarding agility, for Duffy too.

Dianne SS said...

That should be 'something'!

Squishy said...

Oh my gosh I thought you died or moved and didn't let me and Squishy know!!! I was sooooooo sad!!! Glad to hear the doggies are good. Performance events are hard on everyone, dogs, horses and people. I mean, Ali'i was in his first real year of conditioning and his body couldn't handle it. So, I understand you not wanting to go forward with it with Kort, especially if you don't like agility as much. Obedience is so much less physical stress.

Kim said...

Yay!!! I'm glad you are back and I'm very glad that Kort is doing so much better.

That seminar was a bit scary, but there are many ways a dog can get injured that don't involve any type of sports (like falling in a gopher hole). So I think as long as we do what we can to prevent injuries and we are extra careful with our bigger dogs, it is a good way to keep our dogs active and to have fun.

manymuddypaws said...

yay for your blog being back!!!

and yes, agility is stressful on our dogs, but I think that Kim has a point. If your dog isn't conditioned or fit it is likely to injure itself running around too- falling in a hole, a body slam from a brother :), slipping on ice etc.

I think we just need to keep our dogs as fit as possible to prevent any injury- agility related or not.

onecollie said...

Touche` Amanda, LOL!