Friday, October 23, 2020

Kort

 


On Tuesday October 20 2020 Kort was put to sleep.  He died peacefully while I held his head in my hands. 

He went downhill rather suddenly. He had a episode on Oct 12 at 3 in the morning.  I found him trapped under the end table.  He lost the use of his back legs for a bit as well.  Then I noticed his neck , chin, and muzzle were swollen.  I took him to the vet but they couldn't find anything. He had no abscesses on his teeth and the only concern was that he had lost 6 pounds.  During the following week he developed a cough, wouldn't walk up or down the stairs and just looked sick.  On Oct. 20 I brought him back to the vet for a chest xray, hoping to find out the reason for the cough.  He had pleural effusion, fluid around the lungs. It could have been caused by any number of things, none of them good. I made the decision to let him go. He was 12 years and 5 months old.

Kort was an amazing performance dog.  He did whatever I asked and he did it well.  He had titles in Obedience, Rally, Agility, Scenthurdle and Herding. He was also a Canadian Show Champion.

The house is quieter without him, not in a good way.  We miss him so much.  He had a good life and was very much loved. Sleep softly my Kort say hi to Tate for me. 

2 comments:

Fay said...

My heart goes out to you. I've enjoyed your adventures with Kort for years now (from afar). /Fay and Tali, who will be 15 next month, if he makes it.

KEY WEST COLLIES said...

We are sad to hear about Kort. Definitely know how tough it is to let them go. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Dog Speed,

Gemini, Normandy & Dog Dad