Sunday, October 3, 2021

Ash!

I don't post very often about Ash as he is not doing any performance things and he is done showing as well. Rest assured though that he is enjoying his life to the fullest. He is probably the sweetest dog I have ever owned and we love him very much! On September 14 Ash had to go to Calgary for teeth cleaning as well as needing some extractions. He wasn't able to have it done in town as he was high risk to put under anesthesia. When Ash was neutered he would stop breathing. Ash is MDR1 mutant/mutant. This is a gene that affects Collies and Collie crosses. It makes them super sensitive to medications and anesthesia. Some Collies are normal/normal and some are normal/mutant so they are less at risk. Anyway we drove down the night before as he needed to be at the clinic early. The surgery went off with no issues, yay! He needed both lower right side back molars pulled. The one had extremely inflamed roots and the one beside it had a cavity down to the pulp. Poor Ash must have been so uncomfortable! He also had 2 lower front teeth pulled. One had started sticking straight out for some unknown reason and I'm really not sure about the other one but I bet it was also moving. It's been just over 2 weeks since the surgery and everything is healing nicely. He still has stitches but those will dissolve soon. I am now brushing Ash's teeth. He is my first Collie that won't let me scale his teeth so brushing it is! Hopefully he won't need any more surgeries in the future.

2 comments:

Helen said...

Hope Ash is fully recovered now. I'm a bad dog mama, I don't brush my dogs' teeth.

KEY WEST COLLIES said...

We are glad Ash is doing well. Both of us are doing well and enjoying the cooler weather in Key West.

Dog Speed,

Gemini & Normandy