Sunday, February 19, 2012

Mystery Fun Day!!

Every year Wendy plans a Mystery Fun Day for us. We do not know where we are going until the day of the experience. Sometimes these days are relatively tame, & I am a happy girl:) For instance we went to the Calgary Zoo once, I was very happy at the zoo :) Our 1st Mystery Fun Day had us going rafting, I was bounced from the raft while going down a small "hill" of rapids & dragged along the rocks....near death experience #1 :)
Yesterday we found out we were going dog sledding!!! at Adventure Source Tours in Fernie BC.
This is how Wendy told us, they were as good as they look !......

I was very excited, even offering to be the one of the first to mush instead of riding in the sleds with our guides, mistake #1....


The dogs start off with a rush, the terrain at the beginning was not flat, rather very bumpy & uneven, I made it a short way & fell off the sled for the "first" time......
I caught up to my team & we were off again. I managed to stay on for about a minute, this time the sled actually tipped & while trying to hang on to it the dogs dragged me on my belly....is this supposed to happen ? hmmmmm.... I have a lovely bruise from this graceful experience.
Up I get again, I'm a good sport, then we reach a hill that goes straight down, yup, you guessed, off I come again ..sigh....
Wendy stays on!!!......

Kira almost makes it!......

Okey dokey, we are up & running again & we come to a hill, this time it goes straight up, because it has been a warmer winter the snow is kind of sticky so we have to actually help the team up the hill....I get half way up & I can't breathe :( Then I start to feel dizzy, awesome, I stand on the brake of the sled & bend over the front, trying to breathe, Amanda notices as she is in the sled behind me & asks if I'm ok.....well.... maybe I need a rest, ya, good thinking Jo. Wendy comes to relieve me of my mushing duties, takes one look at me & grabs my arm as I am wavering sideways, she tells me I am white. Great, I'm gonna die on the mountain, at least I'll be among nature when I go :) Near death experience #2
I manage to get to the sled, & Shawn,( the gorgeous, young Shawn with the pearly white teeth :) bundles me into the sled, hurray I'm gonna live !!!.....




So off we go again & I get to enjoy the gorgeous scenery & conversation with the gorgeous Shawn :)

It was a truly wonderful experience & I'm happy to have had it. It was wonderful to be out with my friends , laughing & enjoying life....


Would I do it again, not until hell freezes over LOL!!
Wendy promises senior friendly activities for me from now on, & I am grateful, more then she knows!

Some of the awesome dogs......








Thanks Wendy for the awesome adventure !!!!!

11 comments:

WigglyZack said...

What a great fun day. You have a great boss!!!

manymuddypaws said...

lol. the gorgeous young shawn was indeed gorgeous.

i love that you wrote that. lol

KEY WEST COLLIES said...

Our huskey pal, Skye, and her pack are very jealous. They haven't had much snow in Conneticut.

Essex & Sherman

Squishy said...

Oh my gosh Jolene I am so glad she didn't feed you eggs too! BUT if you don't want to go on the Mystery Day next year because Wendy hasn't slowed down the pace I wanna go in your place!!! She sounds like the bestest friend! And those were some beautiful dogs!! I especially love the one w the Soleil eyes!!

onecollie said...

Diana, Wendy is sooo awesome!
You can't have my place cuz I have too much fun, even if it almost kills me lol!!

Dianne SS said...

Holy Mackeral!!! I'd opt for a trial run or 2 on flat terrain with one dog!! That turning white, almost passing out--that's worrying :( Take it easy!!

lifewithmydogs said...

Those dogs are just adorable! I just love huskys, and these photos made me want to go and squish em!

onecollie said...

Dianne...I think what happened is that I was never really able to catch my breath properly. I fell off 3 times right off the bat & had to run to get my team so when I started up the hill I was already hyperventilating, thats what the gorgeous Shawn said :)
Also I have had this weird dry cough ever since I moved here, at best the Dr could only say, allergy ashma, I also wondered if my blood pressure meds didn't help, anyway, its all good !

Jenilee said...

I think its funny that I had to hear about the georgeous young Shawn from Jo & Wendy...wth Amanda? lol

Squishy said...

Do you think you could go back and take some photos of Gorgeous Shawn.....maybe with no clothes on???

onecollie said...

LOL! Diana!!