Sunday, October 22, 2017

Catching Up, Again !!!


New RATN and RATI titles!!
I keep neglecting my blog, days go by and then by the time I think of it a month has almost gone by!

Lync and I went to Strathmore a few weeks back to another Barn Hunt trial. We NQ'd the morning trial but Q'd in the afternoon to complete our Barn Hunt Novice title!! The next day we were allowed to still compete for our Instinct title as we were already entered . I was excited when Lync found the right tube to complete that title as well!

The next 2 trials we had moved up to Open. In Open you need to find 2 rats and there are 3 other tubes as well, 2 with litter in them and one without. In Trial 1 Lync found the first rat right away ! yay! He then went to a corner where he excitedly pawed at another container, even though I thought it was too close to the other I called it, it was not a rat tube. I was disappointed that I had rushed into calling it before I had checked the other side of the ring. We are learning though! I wish we had been able to try the tunnel as well. In Open he tunnel has a turn in it. When looking in it appears dark.  Lync has trouble going into one that he can see out the other side so I knew he probably wouldn't go into this one but wanted to at least try. In the second trial I called rat again and it wasn't a rat.  I am having some trouble distinguishing between when he is actually on a rat and when it is just a tube containing litter.  We will keep at it though as we both enjoy it so much!!

Our next trials wont be until the spring so I have something to look forward to :)

2 comments:

KEY WEST COLLIES said...

Hmm, we do the same thing.

Dog Speed

Squishy said...

I guess it's one of those things I might have to try someday. It's probably a lot like tracking where you have to trust the dog is indicating properly or just being a nerd.