Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Play and Dog Sports


I attended a workshop last weekend with Lync.  It was about play and how it relates to dog sports.  I learned so much and now look at training in a different way.
For example I learned that it is I that initiates play and I that decides the time to work, not Lync. As you know if you do not have your dogs full attention, no matter what you do, you are not getting the most from your training session. When it was my turn to show how Lync and I begin a training session it clearly showed that Lync has no idea or didn't want to initiate any type of work.  It's a bit complicated to explain, but I know what I need to do and that is to go back to the beginning and teach Lync to focus on me and for him to beg to work for me!  If I can do this Lync will be a happier more willing partner for me and I will get much better results.
I haven't started my training yet, but I need to set aside time each day to do so.  I have already started this with Ash so I will just add on some time for Lync.  I am excited to see how fast he catches on and how much of a difference it makes in our training as we go forward into the advanced classes.

No comments: