Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A New Adventure......


A couple of weeks ago someone dropped off some brochures at work. Lethbridge is finally going to get a dog therapy program going with the St. John's Ambulance.
I am going to try out with Tate. I truly believe that this is Tate's calling so to speak. He has the most amazing stable temperament I have ever had the pleasure of owning.
I have to fill out a questionnaire, complete with a criminal check, then the Provincial representatives will be coming in to assess the dog, as well as the owner, at the end of August. Orientation will begin in September if you are accepted into the program. All that is required, if your dog passes the evaluation & a supervised trial period, is that at least one day a week you go out with your dog to visit patients that would benefit from being able to interact with you & your dog.......seems like a small price to pay to make someones life happier.
Wish us luck!

10 comments:

Sarah said...

Cool!! I've filled out my application for Gyp already! Maybe our two sweet tri's can go together!!!! I think it would be an awesome experience too. It's amazing how much joy our pooches can bring to people.

onecollie said...

Sarah that would be way cool if they both were accepted!! Gyp could entertain the troops by twisting her neck hee hee! & Tate can do his Eyore impression!

WigglyZack said...

Tate would be perfect in that role. He is a true gentlemen. The patients will love him.

WigglyZack said...

Tate would be perfect in that role. He is a true gentlemen. The patients will love him.

WigglyZack said...

Oops, I entered twice, now three times, Crikey!!! LOL

Visichy said...

That's awesome! I did therapy work with my old dog Chyna when I lived in Calgary. We visited seniors facilities and she loved it.

Paws on the Run said...

That is so great Jo! I wish I could join you but we know how well that would go. I can't wait to hear more about it.

Dianne SS said...

Oh that would be fantastic! Tate is perfect for that kind of work! I know how much joy Duffy brings to residents at the EG and especially the unit my dad is on and Duffy is still young and not an accredited therapy dog.Good luck!

Kim said...

That is awesome Jo!! Tate would be the perfect therapy dog.

Squishy said...

That is awesome Jolene. You and Tate will have a great time doing this. It always makes me cry to see the patients with the dogs. You both are givers!!