Monday, April 4, 2011

Behind The Scenes



Now that my Red Deer weekend is over I can share my "behind the scenes story"
On Thurs. night, before I was to leave for Red Deer , my mom suffered a mini stroke.
I was a mess, having just lost my dad in July, I just couldn't loose another parent. It is so hard to be here in Lethbridge when things happen back in Thunder Bay. We have an awesome support system though, I have my brother, sister, & sister in law in Thunder Bay looking out for mom.
At one point I wasn't sure if I would be flying home, or going to Red Deer, I had my plan in place, & my alternate plan, depending on mom's outcome.
Thankfully mom had made it to the hospital in time to be give a drug called TPA, it is basically a clot buster drug, however it can have some serious side effects. For one thing, it must be given within 3 hrs of the stroke for it to benefit the individual. It can cause a bleed in the brain as well. My mom had a clot in her brain which caused the stroke, she had to lay still, flat on her back, for 24 hrs for the medication to do it's work. It was hard going to Red Deer, ask Amanda :) I hadn't slept the night before going & I didn't sleep the first night in Red Deer.
Right now mom is doing well, she is out of the ICU & the clot has dispersed. She is still in the hospital undergoing some more tests as well as physio. My mom is a strong lady :) me, not so much...I talked to mom on the phone before leaving for Red Deer, I told her she had no business being in the hospital & scaring me, I still need her, I will always need her, I love her more then anything ♥
Hang in there mom, you have alot more living to do :)

4 comments:

Dianne SS said...

OMG Jolene!!!How scary and awful for you and your family. You are incredibly strong--the fact that went to Red Deer and you and Kort did so awesomely well, shows it!!I'm praying that your mom recovers just fine. ((HUGS)) By the way, if it helps at all, my dad has had a number of mini-strokes for over 10 years now, and is still here at 88!!

Squishy said...

That's so scary Jolene. I am glad she was able to get treated right away and you were still able to go on your trip. It just sucks having family get sick or get older and closer to leaving us. I will say a prayer for her that she lives and very, healthy & happy life. She does sound tough and you'd be surprised how tough you can be when you need to.

Squishy said...

a very healthy & happy life.

And, btw, my brother also has had a series of strokes also. You'd never know it.

WigglyZack said...

Blimy Jolene what more things can happen to your family it doesn't seem fair. Hang in there. You mum looks strong and with all the support from her kids like you I am sure she will make a full recovery.