Saturday, April 30, 2011

Obedience Match

Today Amanda, Kim & I made the 2 hr drive to Okotoks to participate in an Obedience Match.
We are all going to Medicine Hat for a trial in 2 weeks. We needed to get our dogs out to a different venue then what we have been training in to see just where they are at in their training.
To say I was pleased is an understatement! Tate doing his novice work is pure pleasure for me...I never thought I could put a CD on him ! He is 9 years old & if Tate doesn't want to do something then there is no convincing him otherwise! Up until just a few months ago Tate did not want to heel, at all, he was laggy & beaten looking :) I don't know why he has decided heeling is fun at the age of 9 years, but I'm going with it!
Kort continues to amaze me! When he got his CD last Nov. Amanda told me I could have him ready to enter Open the following May. I just laughed, no way I thought ! But just look at him, except for today, he has being doing well on his broad jump. We have been struggling with his sit stays but today he held them at a new venue for the entire 3 minutes :) He "just" started his retrieve over the high jump, this is probably his 3rd time doing it ??
His drop on recall needs work, but really, I am super stoked !
To put things in another light, the last time I was in the Open ring was 33 years ago with my collie Ben ! Yeesh!!
Anyway, I am looking forward to the trial & the next 2 weeks of training as well !
Enjoy the videos......

Tate's run....
It is so much fun to see him so happy :)



Kort's run....
I couldn't have been any happier, what a good boy !

6 comments:

Christine said...

Hello all over there,
it is much too long ago since I have been visiting your blog so I have found many great news, pictures and *WOW* videos. I am still not sure, if you are the more lucky one to own these amazing and talented boys or if they are the lucky ones to be owned and loved by you ;o)
Blessings to you and many hugs to Tate and Kort!
Christine from Germany

WigglyZack said...

Wow, you guys did great!!

Dianne SS said...

Tate is so cute to watch!! Maybe his new found desire to heel and do obedience is because Kort's been telling him how much fun her has!! I had to laugh at the speeded up figure 8--looked like a 1920's movie!! Snort! Kort's sits are really great in comparison to when I was in Lethbridge in November and he's not lagging either. He is doing so well. Do you think the playing before the broad jump broke his concentration? I love his oh so fluffy tail!!! :))

Dianne SS said...

And I was going to say--33 years????!!! Holeeeee!!!

Squishy said...

What good boys!!! Tate was adorable and especially when he wanted to say hello over the ring barrier. He looks very happy! I love him!! Kort was adorable also!! And he has a very fluffy tail!! Funna funna on the broad jump!! It took forever for my first collie Kiita to get that, but once she did, she never failed it again. Good luck!! I'm sure both boys will be fabulous!!!

Cynthia said...

They look great! I love watching collies in obedience. :)