Sunday, September 8, 2013

Tater doggy :)


Tates loves to kiss me ♥
 I've been meaning to do a post on the Tater dog for awhile now.
He is doing really well, I was worried for awhile back at the beginning of July, he really seemed to be struggling mentally & physically, but he seems a bit better.   I ran out of Metacam & was supposed to go in for more bloodwork & a urinalysis before getting more, but I started to work more hours as I was filling in for holidays, & just never did make the appt.  About a week ago I really noticed the difference on our walks, poor guy, he starts out well but within 10 minutes he is really slow , it upsets me so much, to see him "old"
I called my vet & she had no problem giving me the Metacam without all the usual tests, I need to keep a close eye on him for increased drinking or urination though.
I have also started to walk Tate & Kort separately when I can, it is hard to walk them both now, Kort is way ahead on the flexi & Tate is way back, I feel stretched in two direction lol!  It's also not fair for Kort to have to putter along, he needs to really walk, as do I.  Of course it is not fair to make Tate rush either as he just can't keep up.

Kisses, Tate's 11th Birthday
 It has been many years since I have had an 11 1/2 yr old in the house!  Drake my last collie died of heart disease before he turned 10, so it would have been Ben who lived 13 years, he was 11 back in 1986!

As much as it hurts to see Tate age, it is also wonderful in many ways.  He is funny & calm & loves to play with his ball on our walks still.  He loves to be groomed & will crawl up into my lap with his 2 front feet & give me kisses as I brush .

I spend lots of time kissing him, & telling him I love him.  He lays with me on the bed alot, something he never did as a young dog, I always make sure to keep a hand resting on him so I can feel him, weird I know, but I just want him to know I'm there.

I know I am blessed, so many of my friends dogs have not made it to this age.
Anyway, just wanted to update you all as my posts lately have been mostly about Kort & his Spondylosis, & the new puppy who is coming soon.

Never fear though, Tate continues to have the top place in our house, he deserves no less ♥

Kisses 2010



6 comments:

Dianne SS said...

A very sweet post for a sweet, sweet boy. I'm glad he's getting special attention--I hope you can keep it up once the puppy arrives. I love the image of him beside you and you keeping a hand on him ♥. XOXOXOXO to you and Taters

onecollie said...

I am going to make extra effort for Tate when Lync comes Dianne, I never ever want him to feel left out :(
He really is a very special, once in a lifetime dog <3

Squishy said...

I think you also keep a hand on him so you know HE's there. I love Tate and will just kick the doo doo out of myself if I never meet him. I miss Zoe so much and miss having a tri here. I have Tirzah on the bed almost every night and as a young puppy she was very independent but now she loves to sleep at the foot of my bed and oftentimes in the am if I don't get up early enough she stands and just looks at me really close....or she's still sleeping and I have to wake her up. And the Biscuit Eater likes to get petted in the am. My oldest collies........give Tate a big smoooochy hug and kiss for me! ♥♥♥♥♥

onecollie said...

Diana Kort does the stand over me & stare really close too!
You could be right about the hand, I want to know/remember the feel of him.
I will give him an extra big smooshy kiss just for you :)

KEY WEST COLLIES said...

I know the feeling. Essex will be 10 in October and I can see her slowing down.

I love my nutty Secretary of Da Fence.

Unknown said...

Great pics! I'd like to share this great dog photo campaign with you. Can you send me a quick email when you get a chance?