Monday, August 3, 2009

Rattlesnakes!

When I first moved here 2 years ago I took this picture at the entrance to one of the off leash dog parks here in Lethbridge. I have gone back to the park many times since then, & have never encountered a snake........that is until last night.
Wendy, Sandy & I took the dogs out walking & we were on our way back when Sadie, Sandy's fox terrier, jumped off the path into the tall grass. She was followed by Kort, Lacey & then Pixel who Wendy is doggy sitting. The next thing I remember is Sandy screaming for Sadie to come...thinking she had encountered a skunk, I started to call Kort. Then, I heard the rattling! It was like nothing I have ever heard before, it was very loud & very scary. You should have heard the yelling coming from the 3 of us...instant panic, I won't lie! Pixel came back right away, Kort kept looking back & forth from me to the snake, he looked worried but didn't move, finally after what seemed like forever of my high pitched frantic yelling, he came up toward me where I snatched his collar & pulled him out of the grass.....Sandy had to go down further to get Sadie, as you know terriers, they don't give up so easily!..after we had all the dogs safe Wendy says, "let's get out of here! " We all agreed! We could still hear that snake rattling away for quite awhile as we left......way to close for me, I don't think I'll go back! Never a dull moment on our walks!!

3 comments:

Dianne SS said...

Now that's a scary experience! I'm glad everyone is okay. That's one thing about being up here-no ratttle snakes! Love the photo of all the dogs running in the field and those of Kort running and his coat flowing back in the wind.

Squishy said...

They are scary! Hence rattlesnake avoidance training! Good thing the little guy didn't get bit!

Kim said...

I am glad everyone is OK. We have lots of rattlers right in our neighborhood - they sun themselves in people driveways and more than one neighborhood dog has been bit (one just last week). I have heard them rattling in Popson too (that was the last time I made a summer visit there).