Saturday, May 22, 2010

Lure Coursing


What an awesome day!!
Wendy & I drove up early this morning to Balzac AB. to watch a Lure Coursing trial. Wendy had been invited to take pictures of the event & I jumped at the chance to go. It was both of our first times seeing lure coursing other then on TV. We got excited just seeing the "bunny" in practice LOL!
There was quite a variety of dogs entered, including 2 Ibizan hounds, one rough coated puppy & one smooth.
There were a few spills, & one serious accident where a greyhound broke his leg below his hock....poor baby! He was one of the greyhounds that I was visiting with before the trial started & he was super sweet, it was horrible to see him being carried off the field by his owner...it happened so fast I didn't even notice what he did....the club was out bright & early filling in all holes & making sure the course was safe...I think he just twisted it wrong somehow while running.
Pictures from the day......
This girl was an 11 year old Basenji & she was all heart !......

The Irish Wolfhound......

The Whippets......



A smooth Saluki......

The long coated Saluki......

The rough coated Ibizan puppy......


The smooth coated Ibizan hound......

A well muscled Greyhound!......

A Borzoi......

An Afghan......

We were even entertained when 2 Siberian Huskys got loose and ran around the field!......

Like I said, an awesome day !!

3 comments:

WigglyZack said...

How cool to see the lure coursing. I have watched it on TV and it's pretty neat to see them run. They are in their element. My friend had a Scottish Deerhound so she was always interested and it had caught my eye.

Squishy said...

I like the long coated Saluki ~ looks like Zoe to me!

Dianne SS said...

Great pictures of the competing dogs!