Sunday, May 23, 2010

Update

I just received word from Wendy that the greyhound that broke his leg in yesterday's run had to be put down......I am actually very emotional about this right now.....before the race the owners of the dog, & 3 others, came over to chat with Wendy & I, they were a father & son who drove down from BC with their dogs for this race. It was so cold yesterday & this wonderful dog kept leaning into me for pats, I fell in love with him & told the owners I was going to steal him before they left......such a tragedy.
The only happy thought at this time as he was doing what he loved the most in the world when it happened.

7 comments:

Dianne SS said...

Oh no! That's so terribly sad and I am sad for you too, because you had a bond with him. I don't quite understand why he was put down, except for the practical elements of a greyhound not being able to race or course anymore, but perhaps it was too severe to mend.((Hugs)) to you Jolene and condolences to his family.

onecollie said...

I think (from Wendy's pictures) that he also had ripped ligaments, his leg was twisted at a horrible angle :(

Visichy said...

Oh no! That's so sad. I can only imagine how the owners must feel right now. As you said, there is some consolation in that he died doing what he loved to do.

WigglyZack said...

Oh no, how horrible. What a sad end to a wonderful day. I can't imagine how hard it is for the owners seeing it happen and for you too being there! Hang in there Jolene. Try and remember all the good things of that day.

Squishy said...

That is sooo sad. I am sorry to hear it and also being close to the dog like that must really make it worse for you. Life is so cruel sometimes, but like you said, the dog was doing what he loved. That then makes life not so cruel.

Diana said...

Why didnt the just amputate the leg? Dogs do well on 3 legs. Hmm. Sorry for such and upsetting day. Diana

onecollie said...

yes Diana, that is a good question? Perhaps the damage was quite bad, perhaps the owners thought it best for the dog?
I am trying very hard not to judge them....but it is not easy. :(
Both Wendy & I said that given a chance WE would have taken on the dog, amputated the leg, & given him a good life...