Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Diagnosis


What a day....I left at 11 am & got home at 8pm.
The Calgary C.A.R.E Centre was a amazing!
What a wonderful, professional, caring group of Doctors & staff.
Tate had his ultrasound without sedation, although they were not able to get him on his back so they did it while he was on his side. The ultrasound showed no cancer in any of his organs but it did show a very large prostate with several cysts around it, as well as within it. The next step was to get a biopsy to make sure the cysts were benign, for this he would require sedation, it is a needle that is used to take the samples, so you can imagine how that might feel :)
The nurses kept me updated & each time a procedure was done a the vet would come out & speak to me. I will have the results by Monday. Tate is on antibiotics for now as he also has an infected anal gland.
I did some reading tonight on cysts of the prostate & one of the signs is anorexia, lets hope that getting this under control will be all Tate needs to put his weight back on.
He will most likely have to be neutered however, I am ok with that as well, anything he needs done I will do.
I know one thing, once my next dog is done showing they will be neutered, this is the second time I have had a male have a prostate problem. My last collie Drake was neutered at 8yrs of age for the same thing, he didn't have cysts, but he had blood in his urine, & 3 rounds of antibiotics didn't help.
So, I am heading to Thunder Bay to see my mom on Saturday. Tate will be in good hands with Wendy who has said she will have no problem giving Tate his pills :)
I am off to bed, what a long day it has been :)
Good night!

5 comments:

WigglyZack said...

Blimy what a long stressful day. Glad there was no cancer in his organs. Fingers crossed for the biopsy of the cysts - benign is a great word. Glad a diagnosis was found so no more wondering. Hang in there and have a good trip.

Squishy said...

Good to find that out. My first collie had an enlarged prostate, but he also had other issues and was very sick. It sounds like you have a good plan. Have a great time with your mom!!!

Dianne SS said...

You must be pretty relieved, overall.Hopefully the cysts are benign--usually they are in what I have been reading about prostate problems. Have a great trip and get a good rest!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jolene
I am hopeful that the news is less scary than thought.
Perkins guve Tate a hug.
Brian

Cynthia said...

How Scary! Interesting that Tate is your second collie to have problems like that. I hope he gets better fast!