Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I Caved :)

In one week from today I will have a visitor.
For the first time ever I have agreed to be a foster home for a dog. Not just any dog though, a 10 year old collie, you see, his owner was forced to give him up :(
I won't go into the whole story, but it is awful. This dog pulled at my heart strings as Tate is 9 1/2, almost the same age. I can't imagine being forced into giving him up right now, or how he would feel if I did. At 10 years a collie is already considered old, collies only live for about 13 yrs, 12 is the average. The poor boy will be so stressed. He is now with Joyce, a collie owner who first brought him to my attention. She picked him up last night from his "owner", wonder how that went? did his "owner" cry? did he feel bad?
On Monday he will be travelling with Joyce's son to Saskatoon Saskatchewan, where he will be met by Vicky, who will take him on his journey to Lethbridge & me.
I have always refused to foster as I am way too emotional. I can only hope he gets a family quickly before I become attached, even if he does it will be hard for me to say goodbye, that is just who I am.
His name is Woody & he is beautiful :) I spent the day yesterday getting ready for his arrival. I have made room in my livingroom for a giant crate to keep him in while I am at work. It will be just until he gets used to the house & I am positive he is ok with Tate & Kort. My livingroom is small as it is, it's even smaller now, but that's ok too.
I made a spot for him to eat as well.
Here are some pictures of Woody from his "owner" Feel free to spread the word about him. He will be with the Windy City Rescue here in Lethbridge so you can read about him there as well. Hopefully there will be someone that is willing to give this guy a home for what may only be 2-3 yrs.
Also for my collie friends that are wondering, he has no papers, he was from a backyard breeder who wanted extra for the papers so the "owner" did not buy them :(

Woody......


Woody's new bed...notice Kort's crate is now an end table for the lamp :)

5 comments:

Koping Weims said...

Yeah good for you joining the foster home ranks...I have done so many I have lost count...yes some are so so hard to say good bye to but when you know they are going to a good home it makes it a bit easier..last night I saw one of my former foster puppies and she sang to me and gave me oh so many kisses...so although she loves her new home very much she remembered me it was very special to me. So Jolene when Woody does find his new home he will remember the nice lady in Lethbridge who was so kind to him in his time of confusion..and you will remember him with a smile...and a few tears.

Julia

Squishy said...

Oh Jolene he's beautiful! He's very Squishy-like. I think you have a huge heart to take on this collie and do what you need to with him. I wished I could help you with people but I only know 3 in Canada (hahaha!). People are so awful that they can't keep their dogs/animals and I rarely get it. I wish you the best with him & finding him a home.

Dianne SS said...

Like I said in an email, I think you are a very brave and good person to foster. Everyone who fosters is, actually!! But this is your first and I so understand how he would tug at your heart strings--he does mine. He looks like a pure bred and look pretty good for 10. I really, really pray this whole stressful experience doesn't affect his health and lifespan. I would dearly like to knock some heads together!!! I like how you always put 'owner' in quotation marks!

Doesn't Joyce live in Saskatchewan--Regina? Or did you mean her son will drive the dog to Alberta? When you open up that business, you will have wall-to-wall kennels in the living room!! :)) Good luck my friend♥

Donna Brinkworth said...

I am so proud of you! I would love to do this and swear I will one day. You are giving this old guy a great opportunity. I have friends who foster and both of their dogs are rescues. I really admire it. I am emotional too, but think this is really a form of God's work to be kind to dogs in need. Ghandi said we are judged by how we treat those less fortunate (animals included). Way to go. I will watch for updates. LIke you, I can't imagine it for my own oldsters. River is 11. I can't even picture it but would pray someone would do this for her if it was needed. It makes me cry too. Good job, Jolene. :)))))))

Munster Madness said...

I'm actually crying now... could be the wine :-) or it could be that Dan and I adopted an older sheltie (he was 10) when we first lived together. We had Buddy for five years and he was one of the best dogs that we ever had. I couldn't believe someone would actually give him up. We loved him so much and let him live out his senior years in an awesome home. Good for you for "caving" and becoming a foster mom! You will be awesome.