Thursday, November 3, 2011

Retraining My Training :)



Ugh!!!
so I am now in the process of retraining Tate & Kort in 2 different dog sports.
I am retraining Tate to find his entry in the weave poles. In Thunder Bay when I started Tate's training it wasn't as advanced as it is today. It is very noticeable now that Tate is running in AAC agility & is in Advanced. In every run in our Training Troop trials he missed his weave entry, everytime!!! So, I am starting him back to 2 poles, just teaching him to find his entry from either side, & from every angle, it is interesting to say the least, & even though he knows how to weave once he get into the poles, he is having lots of trouble finding the entry, we have one more trial in December & I want to at least give him a chance to get a Standard leg in Advanced. This morning I took down my regular poles & put up 6 electric fence poles. I am going to leave them out all winter so I can train, this way they will freeze into the ground & I can just shovel out around them when it snows, no excuses now that I can't train weaves in the winter :)



Kort is retraining on his obedience ring set up. I am right now just having him sit beside me & give me his attention, we haven't even taken a step forward to heel in a month or so, once I have his attention for at least a minute I will take a step. There is a fun match at our show on the Fri. night, I am just going to enter the ring, set him up, & leave when he gives me attention, I will do this a few times & end the night by going into the ring with the Open set up, throw his dumbbell which he loves, & just informally ask him to retrieve it & bring it back for lots of praise, no sit in front. I am hoping I can bring the joy of Obedience back to Kort :)

8 comments:

Dianne SS said...

Sounds like a pretty good plan--I am sure it will pay off in both cases!! Good luck!!

Squishy said...

What are electric weave poles?

Squishy said...

fence poles

onecollie said...

Diana, they are just plastic poles that are uses to hold fencing :)
they are not actually electric, wouldn't that be interesting LOL!!

Squishy said...

You'd have to REALLY make THAT fun to have them want to do it!!! It'd be FAST!! Hahaha!!!

Brianne said...

That's an awesome picture of Kort and the weave poles!

onecollie said...

Thanks Brianne !
It is Tate in the weaves.

Brianne said...

Oops, sorry!