Wednesday, January 30, 2013

New Supplement

Photo by Wendy Devent

I have always given my boys a supplement to help with aches, pains, arthritis etc.  Even Kort has gotten something from about a year of age as he has had a sprained shoulder, as well as stiffness in his hips.  He has been xrayed & is not dysplastic :)

Today I got my shipment of Green Lipped Mussel.  I have a few friends who swear by it so I thought it was time to try it.

Green Lipped Mussels are native to the coastal waters of  New Zealand where they are farmed. The mussels in the pristine New Zealand waterways feed on a special variety of subarctic plankton which is rich in antioxidants.
When Green Lipped Mussel powder is extracted from the raw mussel, it remains a whole food and retains the same nutrient profile as the raw mussel.  It contains protein, chondroitin and glucosamine sulfate, complex carbohydrates and a unique combination of fatty acids that are not found in any other marine or plant life.  The Omega-3 concentration is very high and said to be over 200 times more powerful then the Omega-3's in Salmon oil.  The combination of ETA's ( a type of Omega-3 fatty acid ) and glucosamine play an important role in reducing inflammation and pain and improving mobility in dogs affected by arthritis.
It has been proven that when added to the food , significant improvement in swelling, inflammation and mobility is shown in just 6 weeks of treatment.  It has also been successful in management of degenerating joint diseases.

The great news is that it is safe , free of any known side effects, and among the most researched anti-inflammatories know to natural medicine.  How cool is that!!

3 comments:

Dianne SS said...

I was reading about this in Dogs Naturally. I hope it does good things--you'll have to report back!!

Unknown said...

I've been trying to find an alternative for anti-flammatory. My Smooth has some knee problems and limps around some. Where do you find this at? And I agree with the lady above that you'll have to report back on how it does. Thanks for sharing!

Squishy said...

I have used something similar with my first sable merle who was limping. It was a long time ago, and remember it did help. Good stuff from what I've read. You definitely need to let us know.