Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Chance

Chance, Aug 8 07, 13 years old......
Mom called me this morning......Chance had a bad night, he's 15 yrs old now. This winter in Thunder Bay has been hard on him......today my mom will say good bye . I can't be there, it will be the first time I have not been with a family dog when it was time. So, please bare with me as I remember Chance.
Chance was adopted by my mom on Sat Dec 8 2001. He was in a no kill shelter & had been there the entire summer, after his original "mom" had her boyfriend drop him off because she was having a baby & didn't want 2 dogs. She decided to keep their smaller dog, Chance was 7 & a half yrs old. They had a pick up truck , & for years whenever he saw one he would stop & stare, hoping it was them. He had a wonderful second half to his life, he was spoiled like crazy & he has been my mom's companion since my dad was hospitalized 3 yrs ago.
I know this is alot of pictures, but I need to remember.
This is the ad in the paper that made mom & I go have a look at Chance......
Chance in the shelter as mom arrived to free him......
Free at last!......adoption day!......
Off to the groomers first!!....that would be me!!!......
The first thing he did when he arrived at mom's house...jumped on the bed & smiled!......
When I was looking for pictures today I came across these two that really choked me up, the first one is in July 02, it was the first time Chance & Tate laid eyes on each other.....
This picture was taken in Aug 07, 2 months before I moved to Lethbridge, it was the last time they saw each other.....
Good Bye Chance

8 comments:

manymuddypaws said...

awwwww, Jo. I feel badly for you. Keep the good memories close.

Diana said...

Life sometimes seems so hard. I hope you and your mom can make each other feel better. Diana

jurneecollie said...

And what a second chance he had!

Our hearts go out to you and your mom. Those pictures sure do tell his story.

Sarah said...

what a sweet looking boy he was, this is such a nice post about him. sorry for your family's loss of him.

miradukesadie said...

Aw, Jolene, I'm so sorry to hear this. He looked like a great dog. Thanks for sharing with us.

Donna Brinkworth said...

Oh Jolene, this is so hard for you and your mom. I always looked at the pet of the week and imagined if I could help one out. Bless her for doing that for him. They say God doesn't give us the dog we want, he gives us the dog we need, and I am sure Chance filled a big hole in your mom's life. I hope if she is up to it that she will think about adopting another old guy, what a great home. Donna

Deb said...

Jolene,
I knew I could count on you for helping me pay tribute to Chance,and finally let the tears flow. I've been holding them in all day, aside from a brief time when I had to break the news to Adrienne. Little did Mom know what a true friend Chance would be for her. Her life will not be the same, as we are left with such a void with each farewell; but she's all the better for having had that spoiled old guy in her world. Thanks again, for the touching post.

dreameyce said...

What a beautiful, soft looking boy. He looks like he was the perfect snugglepup.

My heart goes out to you, and your family in this time of loss, and grief. RIP Chance.