Monday, July 13, 2009

Control Unleashed

I read the book Control Unleashed last night & it was a lot to absorb....I am feeling overwhelmed but determined to get better. I started putting some of the things into work on our walk this am. However, I ran out of treats, again!! This is crazy...there are soooo many dogs walking that I just can't keep up. This book asks you to reward everytime the dog "looks" at his trigger...in this case dogs.....the idea is to get him to look back & focus on you for the reward, instead of the dog, we had 4 dogs pass us within 10 min. of each other, plus a guy on rollerblades & a tractor !!!.....after the 4th dog Kort was just way over stimulated & whining.....I just sat on the grass, massaging his ears, muzzle, & back trying to get him to relax....I'm sure I looked like a nutcase!! It took about 10 min. for him to stop looking for dogs & whining.....perhaps I need to find a quieter place to walk!
Baby steps Jolene, baby steps!

5 comments:

manymuddypaws said...

it wouldn't hurt for the time being to change your route.

you read the whole book last night????!!!! what time did you get to bed?!

Sarah said...

i was thinking the same thing - change the route or the time of day, for the time being. you could even try a few shorter walks so he sees less per walk??

sounds like you are on the right track with him though!

onecollie said...

LOL!! I did read it all!....went to bed about midnight I think!
great book, & yes, I think I will HAVE to cahnge my route & take shorter walks!

Sharon Noble said...

beautiful dog i love collies

Squishy said...

Yes, baby steps!!