Saturday, July 11, 2009

Day One


Julie from Easy To Spot Collies & Dalmatians offered me some advice for helping with "Kort's List"!! Today was Day One trying....basically I went armed with a ton of really good treats, & before he could react, I called him to me & fed him constantly .....it worked really well!! Within 2 min. of leaving my house we ran into a loose dog, a dog on leash with the owner, & 2 barking, leaping dogs behind a fence.....I actually sat him in front of the house with the 2 screaming dogs & shoved food in his mouth, all the while saying "yes" as I forgot my clicker! Then I released him & he didn't even get into a zone! Near the end of the walk he was getting bored of the treats...we go out for an hour twice a day....I would feed him when a bicycle went by, a mom with a stroller, & countless joggers.....so you can see why he was bored with the treats. I will need to bring better treats for the end of the walk. Anyway we came across a lady walking her terrier....I got Kort off the path, & in a sit, but he did not want food..he was entering "the zone".....I tried tapping his head, nothing, whining starting, I put the treat under his nose but he wouldn't take it, still whining but nothing like before.....finally after the dog passed I just said OK, good boy, & released him while running forward.....he quickly forgot about the dog...fastest recovery ever! Baby steps but such an improvement...I actually was able to enjoy my walk & look at Tate for a change instead of keeping an eye out for triggers! & trying to control Kort. Tate thought it was wonderful that there were treats on the walk too!
Amanda has been a huge help with Kort also, she taught me the move off the path & get him to focus, I just needed to up the reward that's all....he needs to be desensitized says Julie & I can see her point.....thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
Now I just need to get him out herding with Amanda!

2 comments:

Squishy said...

Good idea someone gave me a long time ago is to have several different treats with you, including kibble. It's the the slot machine idea; the dog gets rewarded enough with a jackpot (really tasty treats ~ and/or more treats at one time for an exceptional response) and then kibble or a lesser tasting treat here and there. If you mix them together, a cheese or meaty treat also will get on the kibble. I would also cook liver, then bake it in the oven on a low temp with lots of garlic powder on it. Yummy!!!!

Squishy said...

I want to walk there!!! It looks like you don't have foxtails in Igloo Land!