Wednesday, October 13, 2010

In The Blink Of An Eye



I wasn't going to blog about this because quite frankly I'm embarrassed that I let it happen in the first place.

Yesterday Tate, Kort , Perkins & I were out for a walk. I always let the dogs loose in behind the houses in our neighbourhood. There are numerous walkways & open greenspace & we often walk back there to stay out of the cold wind. Yesterday was the same as any other day. I had taken Tate & Kort off leash & left Perkins on. Kort stopped to do his business & I stopped to pick it up. When I stood up, I couldn't see Tate. So I called, 4 times, nothing. I started to walk back toward the entry to the walkways. When I reached the road Tate was still not in site. I made the decision to go right first...calling & calling, nothing.
The things that go through your mind...I knew he had his collar on with his tags so that made me feel better. I knew he was big & black & hard to miss, so that also made me feel better. I knew he was friendly & would come to anyone & not run away, that made me feel better, & worse.
Eventually after not seeing him, I turned & walked left going back up that side of the street. I still didn't see him & I was really starting to panic a bit. Tate is 8.5 years old & he has NEVER just wandered away, granted he is really good at ignoring me :), but eventually he just follows along after, he never walks away, well, until yesterday that is.
He wasn't up the left side of the street either. I was turning back, thinking of going home & dropping off Perkins & Kort, & coming back out, hoping he wouldn't get hit by a car. Then I see him...coming out from behind a house, big smile on his face, galloping toward me pleased a punch. I said something under my breath like, you bugger! Then waited for him to come to me, I told him he was a smart boy for coming back & gave him a big handful of treats.
What could I do, I couldn't tell him he was bad, he wouldn't have understood why, so I just gave him a huge hug & treats & breathed a sigh of relief.
I won't take my eyes off of him again, lesson well learned!

6 comments:

Sharrie said...

How lucky he is to be with someone who understands dogs. It ended well. Thank God.

WigglyZack said...

Crikey that must have been scary. Glad Tate is fine and hope you have recovered from your scare.

Squishy said...

Oh I HATE that!! It's happened with me too, even here on our property. Tirzah just doesn't listen to me and Zoe is just, she's another story. It's easy to do. I try and walk with a clicker and treats and call, click and reward often. It keeps everyone closer and willing to come back fast. With 7 dogs it can be challenging.

Diana said...

He was probably so happy he found you. He thought you were lost. lol Diana

Dianne SS said...

Yikes!! That's the sort of thing we all dread having happen. Sooo glad it all turned out okay!! Wonder what Tate's story is about his absence!

2Elkies said...

Oh how well I know this feeling Jolene. Having Elkhounds letting them run is not usually an option. It takes so much discipline to reward and praise when they come back when you are scared silly that they have disappeared forever!