Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Return Trip


I am so happy to hear that Dr Devall is coming back to Lethbridge at the end of the month.
She is a holistic vet, but also does chiropractic work as well as acupuncture etc on dogs. She is also very well versed in Chinese medicine.
I have taken Tate to her 4 times for adjustments over the last few years.
It is nice that I don't have to make the drive to Calgary to see her again. When she was here last, in November, we were worried about Kort's rear end....specifically his hips. He yelped when they were examined by Dr Devall. Kort has always had a funny hitch to his movement as he changes into a trot, he paces more often then not, & he hates to sit! He also takes FOREVER to go up & down stairs, he really has to think about it before he does. The weird thing is he has no trouble running like the wind !
All this prompted me to get his hips & knees xrayed. They looked great according to my vet, however there was a "slight" possibility of an area on his sacrum that was "off". She called it a tiny boney change. I am going to get it xrayed again in 6 months to keep an eye on it & see if there is any change. It might just be nothing at all because everything else was great !! What a relief that was :))
My regular vet also said that it was most likely nothing & if I hadn't of told her that Kort yelped during the exam she would not have even thought anything of it.
Anyway, I can now take the xrays to Dr Devall to look at as she may look or see things that my regular vet doesn't.
Kort has been off of agility since the diagnosis & I have been working on strengthening his rear end & his core muscles as suggested by Dr Devall.
I had actually forgotten about the no jumping until I had him out on the weekend doing some training. At the end of the training we did some scenthurdle practice & I noticed he was clipping each jump as he came over them, the jumps are only about 6" high. I felt bad, obviously he was fatigued enough that he was having some difficulty.
So it is kind of a mystery, is he lazy ? or is there something there? Why did he yelp during a normal hip exam, yet his xrays show great hips?
Anyway I will be anxious to hear what Dr. Devall thinks this time around.
Paws crossed :))

4 comments:

Dianne SS said...

I sure hope that you can get to the bottom of these mysteries with Kort. A word of advice--be careful with the amount of x-rays he gets. Every x-ray is an exposure to radiation and that adds up to greater potential for cancers. That's why this MRI craze now is really frightening.

onecollie said...

thanks Dianne!....hopefully after speaking with Dr Devall it won't even be necessary for another one

Dianne SS said...

I hope so too!! Fingers crossed!! :)

Squishy said...

Good luck Jolene. Hopefully he just needs an adjustment. I just found a new vet who is versed in Chinese Medicine, herbs and diet. Always good to have another opinion.