Friday, May 17, 2013

Tracking !!

Today I am heading to Red Deer to participate in a tracking seminar !  It has been years since I've been to one.  It is being put on by my good friend Donna Brinkworth who herself is a tracking judge.  It was under Donna's instruction that Tate & I received our TD in  2007, I couldn't have done it without her, tracking with Tate was difficult, he was very soft & worried about making a mistake, but we pushed through under Donna's expert guidance. I have the highest respect for her!  Tracking is her passion :)  I will also be staying at Donna's house, so we get to talk "track" in the evening as well !

We will be working in sessions with a retired RCMP member who is a renowned dog trainer - Jean Blondin, winner of the Police Nationals one year. We will also have a session with Dan Waters, who is an IPO Nationals winner and WUSV competitor. Then everyone will have one session with Donna. There are trackers coming from as far as Montana to attend. It will be an informative, fun weekend. :)

I had entered this seminar with the hope of tracking with Kort, but I haven't put enough time into him for him to truly understand what he needs to do, so I will be tracking with Tate & then apply what I have learned to Kort.  I would love to put a UTD on Tate, as far as I know there is no UTD collie in Canada.

Tate winter tracking on the sidewalk

Beautiful left turn in the snow

Kort's first lesson, learning footstep tracking
 
Cupping the scent in the footstep

3 comments:

Collie222 said...

Collies really can do it all! :)

Dianne SS said...

Have fun!! Looking forward to hearing all about it and seeing pictures!!

Squishy said...

I'm so excited to hear more and also see more photos!! I also think you should get the title on Taters and start Kort!! I will look every day on your blog!! (I do anyway). Tracking is so much fun but we have to wait til Nov.