Sunday, March 9, 2008

Who's Afraid of the Big BAAA'd Sheep??
















So, as I'm sure you have noticed, Tate is a collie, & a collie is a herding breed. A herding breed is meant to herd, that is their instinct......but what happens when the "owner" doesn't like herding?
Well , first you try conformation, no problem, Tate became a Canadian champion at 18 months.
Then you try out agility.....that went very well. Tate has his CKC novice agility title, as well as his intermediate agility title.
Then, you try tracking. That also went very well.....Tate received his tracking dog title on May 20/07.....I was so proud of him! The picture above this post was on the day he got his TD, in the field with the tracklayer. This picture was taken by the judge, Marie Babin.
Next, you try Rally......that went very well too! Tate received his novice title with 2 high scores in class , one perfect score of 100/100 & a 99/100! He then got his advanced rally title , also with high scores all over 95.....he has 2 of his Excellent Rally legs, also with high scores in the 90's....
Tate is also temperment tested , has his Canine Good Neighbour title & his versatility certificate from the American Working Collie Association.
Ok, so you get the picture, I have to give this sheep herding thing a try, right?
So I go out to my friend Donna's house, she has been herding her dogs for years & she owns her own sheep. Above are some pictures of my great herding adventure last year. This was the first time Tate had seen sheep & the first time I had been close to sheep.
Tate enters the pen & slowly starts to follow the sheep. Then he decides that maybe he should chase them! Now, take a close look at me(in the white), starting to get the picture? Then Tate sees one sheep leave the herd, oh he says, "I have to get that one!" The poor sheep of course realizing this wolf was going to get them , run toward Donna & I for safety.....do you know how big sheep really are & what they look like running full speed toward you? I do, & I don't like it!!! as seen in the picture, me with my arms in the air screaming for my life!
So, even though Tate is herding instinct certified , I'm not sure if this is the sport for me. I also don't like all the sheep poop & I don't like all the sheep poop on Tate!!......I know, I know, it's what Tate was bred for, but I think I will have to let herding sit on the back burner, at least for now!





1 comment:

manymuddypaws said...

the picture of you with your arms up afraid of the sheep cracked me right up....you made my morning! too funny!