Thursday, December 2, 2010

Urban Wolf


I am trying something new with Kort.
It's called Urban Wolf dog food.....Kort suffers from chronic loose stools, I have tried many things, it clears up for awhile but eventually they come back.
A friend suggested this food to me, I like it because I can add my own COOKED meat to it. I do not care for raw feeding, however, I do agree with the raw feeders that kibble isn't always the best for our dogs.
Tate does well on kibble, he eats Go!, Grain Free & doesn't seem to be suffering. However, I may also switch him over to Urban Wolf.
Right now I am boiling up some chicken thighs to include in the food, along with the juice I have boiled them in. Urban Wolf suggests the food be boiled for pre cooking.
If anyone has used Urban Wolf & can add any suggestions it would be appreciated..
I want to do right by my dogs, already I have seen a difference in Kort's stools, they are much smaller for one thing !
The one downfall is that no one in Lethbridge carries it, I have to get it from Calgary, but I am hoping to change that & convince one of the pet shops to bring it in.
I have included a paragraph from the Urban Wolf web site below, I love the way they say you don't HAVE to feed raw to get benefits from this food, even though it was made to be mixed with raw food I appreciate the versatility of it.

From the Urban Wolf Web Site......

Urban Wolf is the world's original grain-free biologically appropriate real food diet mix for dogs that allows you to make your own powerful homemade dog food quickly, easily and very economically.
Cooked or Raw Meat? You chose your own fresh meat, use COOKED or RAW, like ground chicken!
This is a very important issue.
We RECOMMEND all dogs start with precooked meat unless your dog has already eaten a raw diet;
Then gradually transition to raw meat after a few months (if you wish to feed raw).
If you are unsure if your dog should be eating raw meat, we recommend you ask your Vet.

Some dogs that have spent their lives eating commercial kibble have a tough time with raw meat so please have compassion for your pet & PRE-COOK your meat. When using cooked meat with Urban Wolf you dog will not lose any of the benefits of this superb diet (*make sure you add all the cooking juices to the food).
We have had dogs eat nothing but Urban Wolf with cooked meat for years and
they have done as well as the dogs on raw.

Wish us luck :))

10 comments:

Amanda said...

Hi, I'm a long time reader first time commenter lol.

I just wanted to let you know that we should be able to bring in Urban Wolf at Tail Blazers since the other TB stores up in Calgary carry it. I'll double check with the boss types tonight, but I'm 99% sure we can get it no problem.

We just require about a week notice for all special orders.

I'll post again later confirming for sure if we can get it or not.

Amanda

Visichy said...

Jo, I'm VERY interested in how Kort does on this new diet. I've been thinking for a while that I need to move my guys away from kibble. They are on a very high quality one but I worry that they aren't doing as well as they could on a kibble-free (or kibble-reduced) diet. I shy away from anything over processed for me so it's only right I do the same for my girls.

Please let us know how Kort does, what you mix with it, and if TB brings it in.

Hugs to K&T from Vicky and C&M :)

Squishy said...

Sounds like a move in the right direction. My biggest complaint with cooked meat thou is that is changes the fat into something that is not as digestible for dogs, thou I think some dogs are just screwed not matter what they eat. Have you tried feeding more raw bone? Chicken feet are a great addition (raw). It might help bind him up a bit. A couple in his dinner at night? Just don't look......

Amanda said...

Unfortunately it seems that we're unable to get this. We used to get it from a supplier we order from every week but since then (this was 3 or 4 years ago) they changed the supplier.

We can get Honest Kitchen, Sojos, and N-R-G for dehydrated foods.

I'll keep digging though and if i find a way to get Urban Wolf i'll give you a shout.

onecollie said...

thanks so much for you efforts Mandy!, & thanks for reading the blog !!

onecollie said...

ewww, chicken feet...really !, I'll look into it though :))

Visichy said...

I checked out the Urban Wolf website and I really liked what they had to say. I think next time I'm in Calgary I'll pick some up and see how it goes.

Amanda, it would be great if TB in Lethbridge could get it in. Please do let us know as you'd get another customer :)

Squishy said...

I buy them in a box of 40 lbs so if you don't find them, try a specialty market....like mexican or asian in obviously, smaller quantities

Dianne SS said...

I have found with Duffy that I have to feed him more bone than is typically recommended for a raw diet. It seems like he has the same issues as Kort and if I try to give him the 80% meat amount, he has runny, mucous poop. I use a lot of pork ribs!! We just got 2 lambs from a NR breeder just out of Olds--one lamb for us and one for Duffy!! And Dave got venison scraps from the butcher in Olds--meaty bones and meat.

I hope this Urban Wolf makes an improvement. Like Diana said though, cooking meat can be a problem--if for no other reason than heat destroys the valuable nutrients in the meat that a dog needs.

Donna Brinkworth said...

Global Pets in Red Deer sells this and the owner, who really knows his stuff did recommend it to me. But I settled on Acana Lamb and Apple because Caden has itchy skin sometimes and it's meant for allergy prone dogs. I know someone who did the promotion for Orijen and Acana is their middle of the road food. I put all dogs on it, and they all do well. I liked the look of Urban Wolf though and really considered it. BTW I have gone back to a balance of raw and kibble. I freeze my raw in patties and give them when I leave for work, but River hated raw! (she likes the frozen treats tho, haha). I like simplicity - feeding everyone the same. Let us know how it goes!