Thursday, January 16, 2014

Doggy School



Last night was orientation for Lync's puppy class that starts next Wednesday.
I am super excited to get out with him & start the learning process.  He already has a pretty good understanding of what the clicker means.  He knows quite a few commands, sit, down, stand, come ( not reliable yet ), wait, crawl, sad, & back.
I have been working on the coming to heel position as I am walking, as well as the sitting at heel position.  Basically just rewarding him for being at my left side right now.
We have worked on leave it and I can hold a handful of treats under his nose & he won't touch them.  I have started focus work, so if I am standing up & he is sitting in front of me, he knows to look at my eyes to get the treat.
He works just as well for toys as he does for treats.  He enjoys tugging & has a pretty good "out" command.
Of course all of this is great at home, I will have to work twice as hard in class with the distractions of all the other puppies, but I am looking forward to it.  He is such a fun puppy to work with.
I think we are going to have a great adventure together!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

cant wait to hear all the classroom stuff. my 3.5 mo flatcoat already heels off leash in class, doubt id get the same results outside of class, but in class all focus. good luck with your wonderful flattie, they are the best!

Squishy said...

Sounds so wonderful on his training so far! I have been doing the same things with Sage but obviously much later. I love the training techniques since I got back into obedience. Much different from 20 years ago. I'm working on my puppies on tugging and really making it a priority. Thought I had it with Sage but we had to go back to work on that as she's not strong. The puppies are awesome so far. I can't wait to see Lync's progress. He'll be so much fun to train and it'll be fun to see the differences between him and your collies.