Monday, September 1, 2008

Kort's private lesson

Amanda invited me today to get a few more tips on training Kort....we go to her class, but all the puppies in the class, except for Kort, will not be going to trial, so it is hard to teach 2 different levels.
I learned alot today & have a lot of homework to practise on. The exercise that I am really looking forward to starting is, for Kort to put 2 feet up on a small stool, then, I slowly push him around it with my leg, going in one direction, then the other...this teaches puppies that they actually have back legs!
I now have a target stick that I will work with & I am doing the very beginning basics of heeling....basically I just walk around randomly & when Kort comes up to my left side , I click & treat...always treat up high & in front says Amanda! After 5 treats we break & play....I really am excited to learn this new way of training, even though I've been doing this for years, I always go wrong with my heeling training & end up with a dog that lags! I won't make that mistake again....thanks Amanda for your extra effort in helping Kort to be the best he can be.
UPDATE for Amanda....
At Amanda's suggestion I started to block off Tate's exit route to the downstairs today...he hides constantly from Kort, at this rate, they'll never be in the same room together!
It's going pretty well, Tate wandered around for a half hr, & I only had to pull Kort off Tate's back once! Here are some pictures of the process...
I put up the ex-pen, much to Tate's horror!! , that's his exit to downstairs on the right.......These were taken 10 min. ago, Tate on the bed, Kort in his crate, in the same room, at the same time!!! wonders never cease!......stay tuned!


5 comments:

manymuddypaws said...

I am glad that blocking off Tate's escape is working! The novelty of Tate will wear off soon and you will have a peaceful household....

Remember- don't actually push Kort around the perch- he has to learn to move on his own- all you are doing is moving into his space a bit and clicking for when he moves his back feet. It won't be long until he is a spinning monster :o)

Sarah said...

cool you are doing the stool work, the dogs love it, you should try it with Tate too, Kaleb thought it was a fun game (I didn't tell him it was for puppies)

Gyp was taught to heel with the target stick - and no leash at all - just clicker and touching her stick, people would laugh when they saw her bopping her stick, but hey she is a good little heeler now, and i STILL have a hard time putting a leash on for heeling!!!!! I'm sure Kort will be a good little upbeat heeler too!!!

Deb said...

wow!!!
I'm sure feeling like a loser in the training category~!!! Shane is 8 months old on the 8th and has never heard the word "heel"... we'll start our next set of classes soon though :)
do your friends have 'real" kids too? how do they guys find the time???

onecollie said...

interesting observation Debra....none of us except for Kim have "real" kids!!!

Kim said...

. . . and my "real" kid is pretty much grown up now and she is too busy to need mom around too much anymore.