Friday, August 29, 2008

Good Bye Wiley Dog

It is with a very heavy heart that I write this post tonight. My sister Debra had to put her beloved Riley to sleep yesterday. My niece Adrienne was very brave & went with her. 2 days ago Debra noticed Riley had not moved at all during the night, taking a closer look she realized that he was very cold & his gums were very pale. After taking him to the vet they got the worst possible news, a tumour in his stomach, up until this point, Riley was behaving totally normal....aren't dogs amazing?
I loved this dog as if he were mine, my Wiley dog I would call him...such a gentle soul, a truely wonderful dog.....
Riley suffered from allergies all of his life, so the night before he was put to sleep, the family sat up with him all night & fed him whatever he wanted, I'm not sure what all of his favourites were, but I know one was ice cream!.....Riley went to the Rainbow Bridge one happy dog, that's for sure!
Here are some of my favourite pictures of Riley.....

For Riley....


We often lay awake at night when the world is fast asleep


And take a walk down memory lane with tears upon our cheeks


The time we had with you, is worth it's weight in gold


The joy and laughter you gave us, is ours to have and hold


Remembering you is easy, we do it everyday


But missing you is a heartache, that never goes away


We'll hold you close, within ours hearts


And there you will remain,


To walk with us through out our lives


Until we meet again


Goodbye Wiley Dog

2 comments:

Deb said...

Jolene,
thank you so very much for this beautiful entry... I'm missing him so much today as tradition always had us enjoying a wonderful walk... celebrating the kid's first day being back in school!!!!

Katie J said...

What a beautiful tribute Jolene...
Deb, I am so sorry about Riley...
He was a beautiful boy and you gave him the most wonderful life that a dog could ever ask for.