Monday, January 18, 2010

Something New


Tonight was my first night as Amanda's "assistant" at her dog training classes! It is a "Mind Your Manners Class" so it is basically people who want to have a well mannered pet, not those who are going into formal obedience.
It was tons of fun & very interesting to see things from a "trainer's" point of view. Amanda is a natural at training dogs & I find it rewarding to listen & learn from her. I have always enjoyed interacting with people , & if they happen to own a dog, even better!
Tonight's lessons were to learn their names, the dogs, not the people, they already know their names! This sounds so basic, but it is amazing how many dogs do not listen when their name is called! Next they learned to down, to leave it & not to grab for food, to come when called, & to not jump on people. It was surprising how fast the hour went.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity Amanda, I'm already looking forward to next week!

5 comments:

manymuddypaws said...

you did great jo! thanks!

Maureen said...

way to go Jo, I'm sure you did a great job.
you have a very good way w/ both people and dogs :o)

Squishy said...

Wow Jolene, can I send T & Parker up there for the class???? Parker only knows his name when I talk to him. Tony's name for him is longer (and not the same name as "Parker come here"). It's "Parker LEAVER HER ALONE!!!" Drives me crazy!

jurneecollie said...

That is so funny Jolene, I'm assisting in the puppy classes at our school...and will soon have my own class. It sure is different from training your own dogs. We will have to compare notes someday LOL

Michelle

Dianne SS said...

That's pretty neat Jolene. You will do well! Can I send Duffy down so he can learn not to jump up on people?