Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Name Game

I put alot of thought into naming my dogs....not only their call names, but their registered names as well.
My theme is "Storm" because years ago when I was looking for a show collie, & I was researching pedigrees, I came across a picture of a collie named Mac. I fell in love with this dog, he is what I wanted in a collie. I also found a kennel in the USA that had dogs that I loved too. At some point in my research, I discovered that Mac belonged to the same breeder as the other collies that I so greatly admired. Her name was Peg Vohr of Mariner Collies. I wrote Peg & asked for a puppy.....it was not easy!!! She had no idea who this young girl from Canada was....long story short, she eventually sent me a dog. He was my Drake.
The original collie I fell in love with , Mac, was known as Am Can Ch Shamont Stormalong, so that is where all my "Storm" names come from, in honour of my favourite collie of all time. Drake was his grandson, Tate is his great, great, great grandson, & Kort is his great, great, great, great grandson!!!
Drake was Storm Ryder, Tate is Storm Chaser, & Kort is Storm Warning......
Here is a picture of Mac.....this is an original photo taken by a girl at the Collie National in the USA. On this day in 1978, Mac won his class, became Winners Dog, & finished his Am. Championship! The girl who sent me this picture was Elaine Sturkol, I'll never forget her name, or the generosity in sending me this picture that even Peg doesn't have! Elaine met me at a dog show in 1991, & when she found out Drake was Mac's grandson she mailed me the picture!! I will treasure it forever.

No comments: