Friday, March 11, 2011

To Trial or Not to Trial ?



So my plan is for Kort to try out in Open at the Medicine Hat Dog Show in May. I am not 100% sure yet if we will be ready.
Here is the exercises & where we are at with them.

Heel Free:
Kort is a very good healer, I have his attention for the most part but he still gets distracted easily by movement around him. I have some trouble on the about turns keeping his attention, we are working on about turns with distractions & it is coming along , slowly. He doesn't always sit when I stop for some reason, we have been working on this alot!! 2 points off for every no sit really starts to build up.

Figure 8:
Kort is very good at his Figure 8, again those outside turns can be a challenge if something catches his attention.

Drop On Recall:
Kort is doing awesome with his drops, I have to work now on having him drop immediately when I say down...he is coming toward me so fast on the recall, he tends to take a couple of steps before dropping, not good! I need to go back & do some running with him & dropping him from a run while he is at my side to see if this helps.

Retrieve On Flat :
Kort loves his dumbbell & he loves to retrieve, he is doing excellent with this exercise. Sometimes he doesn't run out to fetch it immediately when I give the command, it's like he's not sure he can leave his position at my side to go get the dumbbell.
I am also working on getting him to come closer in front of me, if the dog sits too far away this can be an NQ.

Retrieve Over Jump:
I have not done one yet...Kort knows how to jump & he knows how to retrieve, I just haven't put the 2 together :))

Broad Jump:
Kort is coming along nicely with this exercise, on Wed. at class he cleared 3 boards so I am pleased with his progress.

Long Sits & Downs:
Eeek !, These make me crazy, especially the sits, long time readers will know that Kort has gone down on his sits before & they were only a minute long with me in sight !!! I have been working on building up his core muscles so hopefully he will be more comfortable holding a sit.
In Open the sits & downs are for 3 minutes & I will be out of sight. On Wed. night in class Kort did his very first 3 minute sit with me out of sight & he didn't drop. To say I was excited is an understatement !

So there you have it, the trial is in the middle of May, will we be ready ??

3 comments:

manymuddypaws said...

you already know my answer- yes. Both you and him will be ready.

Keep working on the little bits and pieces and it will come together. The funmatch next weekend will give you a definite idea of what you need to work more on. May is still a long ways away. :)

Kort is a good boy, and you are doing a great job with him. Believe in yourself and your dog, and trust your training!

Dianne SS said...

One of those situations that you just have to keep going on as you have been and I'm sure you and Kort will be ready!! And you will have a great time too!!

Squishy said...

So, Open was my favorite class to train and show in. Exciting enough and not too stressful (Utility). I used to throw bait at the about turn to get the dog to really pay attention going around and often just stop the exercise there. I also used a bean bag to toss at the dog on the Drop on Recall. I got GREAT, FAST drops with that and of course it was a game, not a punishment. And, I'd go on walks with the dog (Kiita) and drop her at odd times, with the bean bag.) With the long sits & downs, I almost NEVER did them together, only worked on the sit and worked up to 5 minutes if it was 3 minutes in the ring. I'd also do the long sit on a bed, to make it more tempting to lay down. The long down was always done separate and for up to 10 minutes. LOVE LOVE LOVE OPEN!!!!! Good luck! I'm sure you both will do fabulous!!