Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Never Under Estimate Your Puppy!

Since Kort came home 2 weeks ago I have been working on the basic obedience commands with him. We do sit, down, & come. We have also started basic "tug" work for reward & I've started attempting (LOL!) to stack him for show.
I thought I was doing alot until Amanda showed me a video of a border collie puppy & what he is doing at such a young age!
So, last night & this morning I have begun getting him to touch my hand on command, I have pulled out his baby dumbell & he is now touching it will his nose. We have moved 2 or 3 steps with him in heel position & then a right turn.....all is going well! It's not anything formal, I'm not even using words, just getting him to follow my hand/leg when I move, while luring him with treats at this point. I'm having a blast trying to think up some new things to try, tonight I will be introducing him to a glove so I can begin the basics of indicating for tracking......don't worry, sessions only last no more then 5 minutes, so he is not being over worked or getting bored!!
Kort tugging.......First attempt at stacking!.....

4 comments:

Paws on the Run said...

You should post a link to that border collie site. I've seen it once and it was truly amazing. Border collies are so damn smart!!!

onecollie said...

Great idea!

Kim said...

Puppies are so amazing. They learn so fast and are so eager to please.

manymuddypaws said...

Kort is doing great! Here are some other fun puppy things you can teach:

nose touch to hand
nose touch to target plate
watch
tug/release
1,2,3 Go (he has to stay until you say Go)
Puppy Push-ups - sit,down,sit,down etc.
Perch Work- use a stool.
Go 'Rounds- pylons, chairs, trees
Left/Right Spin
Back Up

There are lots more but this will give you an idea of what you can do with him! Lots of these things we do in Puppy Class