Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Why Collies?

Amanda suggested to me about writing why I chose collies. I had to really think about it, & all I came up with is, I don't know! What I mean is, I believe collies chose me. As long as I can remember I have loved dogs, deeply. It was horrible growing up with parents that would not let me have a dog. In their defense, they both worked full time & there were 4 of us. So really, my mom didn't need the extra work or expense. I would take books out of the library & read them & just stare at the pictures, waiting for the day when I would have my own dog. I brought quite a few home in my day too, made them follow me, then told my mom they must be lost!
I begged my mom to buy me a dog book, I believe I was about 5 or 6 I think. There was a collie on the cover & I just had to have the book. I love all dogs, they have been my life, but when I look at a collie it's different. This will probably sound corny ( or quirky! ), but they tug at my heart....it's as simple as that, they are truely "my breed".
And of course I still have that first dog book! The copyright is 1966!
Here it is......
Here's the collie page inside the book......

6 comments:

manymuddypaws said...

of course you still have the book. i mean, why wouldn't you...

miradukesadie said...

OMG Amanda I just spit out my juice!!!

jurneecollie said...

You're like us Jolene...we grew up watching lassie...and that is all we ever wanted...a collie. Our bedroom was full of lassie posters.

We didn't see a real live collie until we were in our teens, and that was a large tri collie in a back yard...we tried also to lure him home but he wouldn't budge (guess he was loyal to his family!)

Sarah said...

hey!! quit picking on jolene, you should see the crap i have that my mom has kept all these years!!

i still have all my teddy bears - Odie, George and Bun Bun, sure they are now in a box now that i am a BIG girl, but I have em!

oh and i have jane and K's puppy teeth saved ....

onecollie said...

thank you Sarah!! I also have a doll that I got when I was a year old, her name is Debra, after my little sister! I also have Boomer, a toy dog that my grandmother gave my brother but I stole it! It has to be a 100 yrs old, really!!

Donna Brinkworth said...

But what is that beautiful dog in the inset photo, with the pointy ears and saddle (hehehehe)...I feel the same way - to me there is no dog more beautiful than a beautiful collie. They remind me of Arabian horses - so spirited and beautiful heads and necks. But I lost my heart to GSDs too! And my BCs are just funny quirky little collies - the throwbacks! It is hard to believe that when Queen Victoria fell for the collie, it was actually the original collie that was neither Lassie, nor a BC but the dog that was both (before the big breed split)